Active and sustainable travel
Active and sustainable travel means making journeys by healthier, more environmentally-friendly modes, such as walking, cycling, or public transport.
The best action we can take to reduce air pollution and improve our physical and mental health is to get active and leave our car at home.
Coronavirus and active travel
For anyone travelling to work, it is a good time to think about using active travel measures. Can you walk or cycle and avoid public transport? It will get you outside and count towards your physical activity for the day. As there will be fewer cars on the road, it should be more pleasant. Whether walking or cycling it is important to remember to adhere to the 2 metres (6ft) social distancing rule. Visit the Cycle Journey Planner on the West Sussex County Council website for information about local cycle routes.
Tips for cyclists
- Cycle at a safe distance from others.
- Carry tissues with you and dispose of them safely in a bin as soon as possible.
- If you visit a food outlet on route, wash your hands before and after visiting and again on return home.
- Avoid touching your face if your hands aren't clean.
- Wash your cycling gloves.
Our Being active page will give you more information about the guidance around coronavirus and exercise.