Gambling takes many forms, including playing the lottery, buying scratchcards, betting on sporting events, playing online ‘casino’ games, using gambling machines or playing bingo. Many people gamble for fun or enjoyment, but it can be risky and, for some people, it can become a problem.
For tips on how to gamble safely, visit the Be Gamble Aware website.
If you think you might have a gambling problem , you can take a quick, anonymous online test to find out.
If you do have a problem, there is a range support available to help you tack back control:
- GamCare provide information, advice and support for problem gamblers and their families, through the National Gambling Helpline, online chats, forums and treatment programmes.
Call 0808 8020 133
- National Problem Gambling Clinic provide treatment for problem gamblers living in England and Wales aged 16 and over. The team assesses the needs of problem gamblers as well as those of their partners and family members. Call 020 7381 7722
- Gamblers Anonymous hold group meetings, online forums and provide information for people struggling with a gambling problem.
- BeGambleAware provide free, confidential help for anyone who is worried about their or someone else’s gambling.
- Big Deal provides information and advice on gambling for young people and parents. Call 0808 8020 133
- Gordon Moody provide advice, education and therapeutic support through residential, online and outreach services for men and women aged 18+. Call 01384 241292
- Gambling Therapy provide online support, advice and self-help tools for people struggling with gambling, available in a range of different languages.
Self-exclusion means asking a gambling provider to exclude you from gambling with them for a length of time, usually between six and twelve months but this can be for up to five years for online gambling. Support is available:
- GamBan is a paid for service to block access to online gambling services.
- GAMSTOP enables you to put controls in place to restrict online gambling activities. It covers all gambling sites licensed in the UK. If you register with GAMSTOP you will be blocked from all UK licenced gambling sites, for a period of your choosing (6 months, 1 Year or 5 years).
- Monzo is a bank account and app that allows you to block gambling transactions.
For more information about problem gambling, visit the NHS website.